Output options

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I'm interested in what people are interested in terms of the output functionality, i.e. what you're measuring for.  For example you may want to schedule a script to run at regular intervals and graph the results.  You may want to run the script on an ad-hoc basis when you have a feeling something is not right.  Or you may want to have a script send you an alert if a condition is met.

From an ITIL perspective I see three sets processes that this project potentially relates to

• incident \ problem management
  • change \ configuration management
  • capacity management

I'm also interested in whether people are interested in scripts that document Active Directory and the server topography that underlies it.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Hi Glassboy,

I think that for AD administrators there are basically two processes that that are important when it comes to AD monitoring: a (scheduled) AD health check that outputs the results (possibly by e-mail) in an easy to understand format and an on-demand check that finds possible issues in case of AD problems. Both processes go beyond mere replication though but this module could become an important part of such a process. I think it might be helpful if we design use cases with input/output definitions?

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I think the general output of the cmdlets will be existing .NET objects (i.e. SDSAD.Domain, SDSAD.Forest) but I think having some results we could graph would be a huge win. Specifically around AD replication and latency.

Perhaps some reporting cmdlets as well.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM

I'm not strictly speaking an AD administrator.  I just have to get my hands dirty because our operations team lacks talent.  My interest is in being able to look at pictures of performance over time so I can judge what impact various things have on AD replication.  So I'm in the capacity management space.

As I said on activedir.org I'd be interested in seeing RRDTool as an output because I still don't think there is anything else that matches it for graphing - http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/gallery/index.en.html .  Also once you have those RRDtool cmdlets written you open up a big new user base for PoSH, and have a solution for anyone who doesn't want to play with a full RDMS.  You've also then have them for any cmdlet output.  The potential use from GWMI is enormous.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I believe a good approach, albeit a little more complicated, is to have a couple of cmdlets that do exactly what your after. Take the output and convert to RRD format.

Something like out-rrdformat